Monday, July 30, 2012

The Wardens and the Shriven - an Angels of Absolution Mystery... And a "Ravenwing" Biker.

I'd like to go back in time to February/March 2007, shortly before the 4th Edition Codex: Dark Angels came out. During those cold winter months that were just about to transition into spring there was a leaked version of the Codex. It was a pre-print copy, already organized into its rough layout, leaving empty boxes where the art was supposed to go, but it presented the rules and fluff for the Dark Angels in a state just before finalization. I recall there being something different about Scouts in that version that differed from the final version released, but most importantly, I vividly recall the blurb about the Angels of Absolution had me frothing. You see, it was the same blurb from C:DA page 75 discussing how their take on the rift in the Dark Angels is perceived, and it detailed the same pursuit of the Fallen on Archangel VII, except it named the 1st and 2nd Companies of the Angels of Absolution the Wardens and the Shriven. When the final version of the codex was printed, these references were removed in preference of calling them just the 1st and 2nd Companies. I, sadly, have no proof of this, but I recall it vividly. Does anyone have that pre-release C:DA hidden in their hard drives to confirm this? I remember being so disappointed this reference was removed and that they were not depicted in the hobby guide section of the Codex.

That being said, who knows if those names will mysteriously reappear in the upcoming 6th Edition Codex: Dark Angels. I can only hope.

Assorted biker bitz in process.

Today I present a Ravenwing aka Wardens aka Angels of Absolution bike in progress. Like many of my models this model was started years ago and was never finished. Some of the paint work, glue jobs, and painted over dust have been frustrating to deal with but they also gave me some impetus to just "power through". I know I have to paint my Librarian for the "Pale Olympics" but money permitting I've secured a ride to the next AWC Tournament at the Chicago Battle Bunker in late August and I'd love to throw down some fully painted bikes for the first time.
The "Sword Cross" on shield design is of my own devising to represent the Wardens (or was the Ravenwing the Shriven? I don't know."
I should note that I'm a sort of a stickler and if the 6th Edition Codex comes out and they happen to show the 1st and 2nd Companies of the Angels of Absolution looking some other way, you'll see a prompt "updating" article where I paint over the erroneous bitz because that's how I roll.

It'll be at least another 10 days or so until I drop another blog post. Tomorrow morning I get on a bus to meet my band mates in Seattle for a few shows on the West Coast, and then I come back. Maybe Scott or Eric will have some new hobby goodness in the meantime. Also, follow more of the Pale Olympics here:

The Chi of Terror 
Poke Miniatures

-Nick

3 comments:

Felix Flauta said...

"I should note that I'm a sort of a stickler and if the 6th Edition Codex comes out and they happen to show the 1st and 2nd Companies of the Angels of Absolution looking some other way, you'll see a prompt "updating" article where I paint over the erroneous bitz because that's how I roll."

That's kind of awesome.

Anonymous said...

Looking great. Your clean style really works well with Marines. Cool that you are getting bikes going. Sounds like they will be pretty handy in 6th ed.

xNickBaranx said...

Once the new book comes out I'm probably going to experiment with powders on my bikes to muddy them up. I just want to make sure the iconography is good for another 5 years before I do. ;)