Thursday, November 19, 2009

Epic Armageddon: the first 10,000 points

A few years back, I picked up a couple lots of Epic Steel Legion models from various sources for cheap. I found myself the (at the time) not-so-proud owner of a couple of forgeworld models, and a ton of infantry and armor.

The casts were kind of poor, and I had never messed with the scale at all. It seemed to lack details, and ended up sitting on the shelves for months (maybe years, it's hard to remember).

I piddled with them a little, but they mostly sat unused until I was asked to actually play a game (please note that this trend continues with my nearly 1000 point Soviet Flames of War army, that I still haven't played a single game with) by a fellow compatriot of this blog. I think his excitement was contagious, and I ended up getting really amped up about the 6mm scale and tactical aspect of GW's Epic game.

Since then, a lot of things have gotten kicked into high gear for me, but I've tried to make painting models a priority for me lately, and have been quite prolific.

So, I wanted to document my work towards my first 10,000 points of epic, that I plan to have done sometime before the end of the year. I really have grown to quickly like the scale of the models, and the ease in which they paint up.

For this army, I'm not going for ultra-detailed, but rather "completed". I'm doing a very quick 2 color grey drybrush over black primer, and then throwing on some details. I am generally painting up a unit a night on average, with weekends seeing a bit more completed.

The titan is of the War Griffon Legio, and the rest of my army is a standard Steel Legion force.

I'm currently at a little bit above 3000, with another 4000 or so partially or nearly completed... Here are the first glimpses.

In progress shot of warhound for scale comparison. This model was very poorly casted. I turned it into some battle damage




My first completed superheavy company, also from Forgeworld, and also poor casts. Some of the details were completely washed out. I have another Shadowsword company that i'm working on that started out in much better shape.

14 comments:

Matthias said...

We will take this blog over yet! Nice work! Too bad it does me NO GOOD all the way down in Texas!!!!! Let's get a game in next month when you are back.

Scott said...

Man, I'm starting to feel out of place without an epic army.

Scott said...

Awesome stuff, by the way Anton.

xNickBaranx said...

Seeing these pics and Matt's does make me want to drag out the Epic models too. I do have a handful of Angels of Absolution and Redemptors of Golinar painted, but I really kind of disliked Epic 40,000 in retrospect and am not sure I'd be stoked on the current edition of the game. I don't know.

xNickBaranx said...

PS. Epic cannot take over this blog! :P

Dasanton said...

Nick, I have no clue how the previous versions of the game worked, but I know that the current version is really streamlined and tactical. The rules and the armies make sense, and play much truer to the theme of the armies, ie; marines really are elite, orks really do have hordes and like the assault, imperial guard really do have waves and waves of troops who die easy, and eldar really are cheaty bastards.

Thanks for the other comments, and we'll definitely get a game in next month Matthias...

Col. Corbane said...

Excellent mate, I haven't seen a epic guard army in ages and you're has reminded me of playing AM when I was a kid.

Cheers mate, keep posting them.

xNickBaranx said...

Anton, the problem with the last edition I played was that it was too streamlined and squeaky clean. Your units didn't have much character. I heard the goal was to bring some of the grit back when they did the revision but I never followed up on it.

xNickBaranx said...

I dragged out my Epic Angels of Absolution tonight and I'm just not liking painting at this scale. I don't know.

Anton said...

I'd say it's probably somewhere in the middle. There are rules for just about any model that they made for epic, but for example; Ork Braincrushas, Gobsmashas, Gutrippas, Lungburstas, and Spleenrippas all count as Gunwagons in this newest edition.

Some of the older OOP stuff have rules for their own weapons, Gorgons count as Chimeras w/ minethrowers for example, which is short range artillery. I think that is for the best, as having too many units just slows things down.

There's a good balance of tactical and streamlined play, and variation and room to customize your force. There are a ton of different lists out there, and the armies really do seem to play with the character that they are intended to capture, which I think is often lost in 40k games.

Dasanton said...

The scale takes a bit of getting used to, and you're not going to be able to paint it in your usual fashion. What it will help you do (and I think this is something you could use) is to loosen your painting style up. Using a line of color to represent something, rather than get it exact. It's not sloppy, just not as detailed as with larger scales. If you've seen the way that most people paint Flames of War models, or other smaller scale historicals, that's basically what I mean. Lots of black in the recesses, and color working around it to simulate a face, without actually painting the details, if that makes sense.

Matthias said...

I just bought like 7 Epic armies...Eldar, Imperial Guard, Squats, Tyranids, Marines, Chaos Marines and Orks...plus Adeptus Titanicus and a bunch of other stuff. Once I sort through it all (check back next year!) I will have a ton of stuff to get rid of if anyone is looking for anything particular...and wants to play...you know you do...

Anonymous said...

me and my wife have been researching 2012 for about 2 years now and have allready started planning they say by 2010 you will see it in the sky and i think thats about the time we will have everything ready we are looking to start a survival group or if anyone else has one that we can join let me know ill check back later thanks
[url=http://2012earth.net/planet_nibiru_2012.html
]apocalypse 2012
[/url] - some truth about 2012

Dasanton said...

I already have a survival group.. it's called Epic Armageddon!

Don't you spammers read??? I have a TITAN LEGION!