Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Great Painting Race 2010!

As some of you may have noticed in my last post, I mentioned that I was the second slowest painter I know. I meant no offence to my fellow blogger Nick, but he knew exactly who I had in mind as the slowest painter I know. In the comments of that post I proposed a "painting race," and Nick was totally down for it. We quickly hashed out the rules and this is what we came up with:

Infantry(25mm base): 1pt
Larger models (40mm base): 2pts
Monstrous creature/ vehicle: 4pts

Models must be completely painted (including the base) and posted on here on 2nd City Warzone to score points. Models that have been started in previous years but finished this year DO count (After all, this is about getting finished armies on the table top).

Below are our opening remarks before the contest:

Nick: My hobby output last year was embarrassing. It's normal for me to get teased for how slow I paint, but last year I was distracted. I completed 3-4 Angels of Absolution early on and right at the end of the year painted 5 Skeletons from start to finish. I also added brand new shields to a unit of 20 Skeletons to make me feel better about myself and get them into my display case. I could try and lie to myself and assert that I finished 28 or 29 models last year in order to feel like I could compete with Scott's impressive 32 completed models when in my head I have trouble saying my model count was more than 5. My plan is to make a strong showing early on as I prepare my armies for Adepticon, and then keep pace throughout the year. Since he's going to be experimenting a lot with speed painting techniques - if he starts churning out models I may jump around to Undead, bulking up my Grot units in my Ork army, or completing that BFG Fleet!


One of my greatest weaknesses is that for every technique I streamline, I add something more labor intensive. I have a hard time wrapping my head around going "simple and effective." It always feels like a copout. My dad always loved the quote, "Those who run fast, do not run long." Despite the truth to that statement, I feel like my best chance in this race is to get a get lead out of the gate and then match pace with whatever he posts up so that I always stay one step ahead.


Scott: Last year was probably my most productive year in painting ever (32 models!). I've been a lot better about focusing and getting projects done, not just started.

For 2010, I really want to learn some techniques that will help me paint faster. I just got a cheap airbrush (for free, actually. Thanks, Art) and I'm hoping to use that to do some base coating. Also, I was initially hesitant to embrace Citadel Foundation paints and washes. However, now that I've used them a bit, I have to say I'm pretty impressed with how they can speed up project.

I really struggle with the thought of "lowering my standards", but I think I need to realize I'm not painting for a golden daemon, I'm painting to play with a cool looking army.



Keep an eye on this blog for what is sure to be a gruelling contest of wills, race fans!

5 comments:

Dasanton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dasanton said...

I think both of you are starting from a flawed premise; that faster, somehow automatically indicates "lower quality".

It doesn't matter if you get to the finish line in a model t, or a mustang, both are going to get you there, and both are fords (and as we all know Henry was friendly with Herr Fuhrer , but that's another topic for another time).

Using time saving techniques doesn't make your painting-quality lower, you can still sink as much time and energy into detailing as you'd like... It just gets you to the finish line faster.

Some time-saving techniques are generally inferior; like dry brushing... However airbrushes, washes, inks, and weathering powders are all used in golden demon quality level work.

xNickBaranx said...

Anton, I agree and disagree with what you're saying. I still use dry brushing regularly - but an entirely dry brushed skeleton, and one meticulously highlighted have 2 completely different looks (and qualities). I could knock out a 2000 point dry brushed crappy looking Necron army in a month, but I'd be embarrassed to show it on the blog.

Scott and I are both admitted hobby snobs. We use time saving techniques but the quality of the final model is more important than the speed. That's how we think. We both want to paint faster, but without sacrificing too much quality.

The point of "the race," however, is to keep us motivated and painting and thus, complete our armies faster. We're the two slowest painters we know and it seemed like a fun idea. This contest works for how we think.

Dasanton said...

Drybrushing is one of those techniques that I mentioned that is inferior.

If Scott's got an airbrush, and you're choosing not to use one, I've got my money on him, just saying.

Anonymous said...

[ ... ] link is being shared on Twitter right now. @zenx, an influential author, said RT @1ndus: Xtreme [ ... ]