Monday, January 11, 2010

UPDATED: A New Year and New Scenery

Before I talk about my own projects I want to take a moment to pat my compatriot Scott on the back. After looking at his year in review entry I went through every entry of 2009 that I did between my old blog, Redemptors of Golinar, and here at 2nd City Warzone. What I discovered was really disappointing. In the first weeks of 2009 I had completed enough scenery to complete an entire table. You can see that here. Then, over the course of 2009 I pulled all my models out of the figure cases, did minor upgrades to a few, and then put them back in the case. I'm pretty sure I only finished 4 Angels of Absolution and added shields and 5 Skeletons to a unit of Skeletons with Hand Weapons.
So not exactly the most prolific hobby year. In fact, I bought the Imperial Guard Codex, played 1 game with it. I bought Planetstrike and haven't played a single game with it. And I bought a Stompa that remains untouched. I really want to turn things around in 2010 and walk away with something to show for it like Scott did last year. Especially with having a new born midway through the year and having all sorts of other things on his plate, he powered through and really accomplished a lot.

That being said, what are reasonable goals for me to have for 2010? These are the things I'd like to accomplish:
  • I'd like to get the Angels of Absolution to 2000 playable points. I have over 1500 right now and adding just another 4 or 5 models will make certain squads playable pushing me to this goal.
  • I'd like to get my Tomb Kings of Khemri to 2000 playable points. Once again, painting a handful of models and updating a few units will get this army to this goal.
  • Complete the Ork Trukk I've been working on for the last 2 years. This is my only Ork goal. I just need to paint the crew and do some weathering. It's so close to completion it really shouldn't sit like this anymore.
  • Complete my Humboldt Park/Chicago themed city board. Last year I started the project of making buildings loosely based on buildings in my neighborhood and putting them on giant sidewalk edged movement trays to create an authentic yet playable city. A week of work and I can turn the work I've put in into a 4' x 6' or possibly larger board. I really think the end result will be very dramatic and I'm looking forward to it.
  • Update: Run a narrative campaign that links a mere 5 games with the Nerd Night crew.
All that being said, exactly like how I started last year, when the holidays come around I feel compelled that I should be playing with toys, so that's what I did. Here are 4 new pieces of scenery I made to go along with the scenery I started 2009 off with.
A quick note on these pieces of scenery. The "concrete tube" piece was a piece of busted PVC pipe I found on the ground while walking the dogs. Similarly, the railroad track section was one of several railroad track bits I found busted in the alley while walking my dogs. The desert "giant thicket" trees are based around broom bristles from a beat up broom I found in the trash somewhere, and the pile of metal pipes - the tubes are from the center of a roll of dog poop bags. Recycling at its finest. Here's to a productive and fun 2010!

6 comments:

Pedro Kantor said...

Very nice Nick!
This cold weather has been making me not want to go out of the house much.. but I want to start gaming again regularly once I get back from seattle (Jan28th) so be ready...

Scott said...

Cool Stuff, Nick.

I find walking through alleys is a great way to find stuff for terrain. I have a bin of it in storage at the moment.

xNickBaranx said...

Oh, there was one other goal I wanted to add to the list so I'm going to post it now.

Yeah, alleys are great. Sometimes I see broken toys in my neighbors yard sit there for weeks and wait for them to get kicked over into mine so I can bring them upstairs. haha. You'll see one of those get used in the not too distant future.

Eric, for real. We need to get back to business. Which ties into the update I'm going to post in a minute.

Scott said...

I like the update. I may be back fo some Monday night action. I'll keep you posted.

帳號 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you on your information.