Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Revisited 40K Warzone Desert Table #1: The Pinnacles

The Pinnacles, and the mess that is my apartment. Notice the stack of Zone Mortalis rooms in the upper right hand corner of the photo, and the pile of boards leaned against the wall in the upper left hand corner of the photo.
After using weathering powder on the other 2 desert tables and seeing how it added to them, I decided to add a tiny bit of Medium Earth to The Pinnacles table, along with some static grass. Here are some proper close ups.
This area of difficult ground has a special place in my heart. It has been repainted multiple times and dates back to the first table I made specifically for home. Its probably 12+ years old. Now with a tiny bit of weathering powder. 
Each stone spire is so tall that you really can only photograph the base.
The base of the largest spire. It is over 15" tall.
Broom bristle "trees". One of my favorites to make. 
More boom bristle trees. The base is lightly shaded with some Medium Earth.
More subtle weathering.
Natural berm. I should note that all of the mesas and dunes on these boards in part are made up off all the off cuts glued and covered in masking tape to create a more natural shape, which is then covered in spackle, smoothed, and left to dry before being coated in sand.

Aerial view of The Pinnacles.

2 comments:

agemmanjw said...

Very nice! I miss the days of making tables. Lacking the wood-cutting tools I need has left me with gobs of materials and no ability to base them up and make them into tables anymore. It's nice to see a great table, and someone with the motivation to do that still. Keep it up!

xNickBaranx said...

Thanks Jay. You know out of those 3 tables only 2 pieces of terrain have hardboard bases, and they both date back to my GW days. I base mainly in foam core because I can't stand the whole cutting and sanding process with hardboard. It was just too much of a hang up to being productive. haha. I recommend it. ;)